Honours and Awards
- President, International Studies Association (ISA), 2016-17
- President-Elect, International Studies Association (ISA), 2015-16
- Erudite Fellow, Kerala State Higher Education Council, India, January 2016 (Invitation)
- Included in the A-List of 41 Influential Indo-Canadians, The Indian Diaspora (www.theindiandiaspora.com), Toronto, January 2015
- The Ngee Ann Kongsi Professor (Visiting) of International Relations, S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, August 2014
- Charles Phelps Taft Lecturer, University of Cincinnati, April 2014
- Ambassador John Price and Marcia Price World Affairs Lecturer, Utah Council for Citizen Diplomacy, March 2014
- Marian Miner Cook Athenaeum Distinguished Lecturer, Claremont-McKenna College, February 2014
- Team Leader, Globalization and the National Security State Project (Won 4 Consecutive Team Grants from FQRSC- 2002-2017)
- Vice President, International Studies Association (ISA), 2013-14
- Best Professor in International Relations, World Education Congress, Mumbai, June 2012
- KPS Menon Chair (Visiting) for Diplomatic Studies 2011-12, Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam, India
> For more on this, see: http://kpsmenonchair.blogspot.com/
- Honorary Member, The Golden Key International Honour Society (September 2011-)
- Editor, South Asia in World Affairs Book Series, Georgetown University Press, 2010-
- Book, The Tradition of Non-use of Nuclear Weapons has been Selected for Inclusion in the Peace Prize Laureate Exhibition Honoring President Barack Obama by the Nobel Peace Center, Oslo, November 2009 (South Asia Edition, Cambridge University Press, New Delhi, 2010)
- Distinguished Award in Arts and Letters, Indian American Kerala Center, New York, November 2009
- Interviewed in Conversations with History, A Television Interview Series with Leading Scholars and Practitioners, University of California, Berkeley, October 2009 . To view go to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvMmnmXGRUM
- “Popular Professor,” Maclean’s Guide to Canadian Universities, 2005
- Faculty of Arts 2005 Award for High Distinction in Research, McGill University
- James McGill Chair, 2003
- Peace Scholar Award, U.S. Institute of Peace, Washington D.C., 1989
2013-2017: Fonds de recherche du Québec – Société et culture (FRQSC), “Globalization, Rising Powers, and the World Security Order (team leader).
2011-2014: Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) Canada, Research Grant for the book project on: Soft Balancing and Order in World Politics (Ranked 2 among 82 Canada-wide applications).
2009-2013: Fonds de rescherche sur la societe et la culture (FQRSC) Quebec, Team Grant, for the project, Globalization and the Changing Regional Security Orders (Team leader).
2007-2010: Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) Canada, for the book project on: War-Making and State Building: Pakistan in Comparative Perspective (Ranked 6th among 142 Canada-wide applications).
2004-2008: Fonds de rescherche sur la societe et la culture (FQRSC) Quebec, Team Grant, for the project, Globalization and the National Security State. (Team leader).
2003-2010: James McGill Chair Research Grant component.
2002-2005: Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) Canada, for the book project: The Tradition of Non-Use: Nuclear Taboo in World Politics.
2001-2004: Fonds pour la formation de Chercheurs (FCAR) (Quebec) (team grant with Michel Fortmann and John A Hall) for the project, Globalization, National Security and the Future of the Nation-State.
2003-2004: Conference Grant, John Holmes Fund, Canadian Centre for Foreign Policy Development, Ottawa,;McGill Peace Studies Committee for holding the conference on Understanding the India-Pakistan Rivalry.
2002-2003: Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, Research Initiation Grant.
2001-2002: Conference Grant, Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade, Ottawa for holding the conference on Balance of Power Revisited (May 2002).
1995-Present: Team Grant with the University of Montreal, Security and Defence Forum, (Ottawa) annually for activities of the Research Group in International Security.
1998-2001: Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)- Canada, for the project: The World Order and India: Challenge and Integration in the Major Power System (with Baldev Nayar).
1997-2000: SSHRC, for the Project: Transitions without War: Strategies for Peaceful Change in the International System.
1997-2000: Fonds pour la formation de Chercheurs (FCAR) (Quebec) for the Project: Transitions without War.
1996-97: Conference Grant, The John Holmes Fund for the conference on International Order in the 21st Century (with John Hall).
1993-96: Research Grant, The Rockefeller Foundation, for the project: Why Nations Forgo Nuclear Weapons.
1994-95: Research Grant, Department of Foreign Affairs, Canada, for the project: Why Nations Forgo Nuclear Weapons.
1990-91: Dissertation Fellowship, Institute on Global Conflict and Cooperation (IGCC), University of California.
1989-90: Peace Scholar Fellowship, US Institute of Peace, Washington D.C. 000; Dissertation Fellowship, Institute for the Study of World Politics, Washington D.C.
1986-87: Pre-doctoral Fellowship, Center for International and Strategic Affairs (CISA), UCLA,
1985-86: Post-graduate Scholarship, University of Queensland, Australia.